I watched this play a few weeks ago, and was terribly affected by it for a while.
The despair, hopelessness and loneliness hit me pretty bad.
It was kinda like when I watched a few George Carlin clips and it made me feel like a hypocritical self-serving asshole.
I mean, it's true, but you don't feel so bad about it until Carlin exposes all the bullshit we say and do.
And then I went back to feeling 'normal' and didn't change anything about myself, other than the fact that I have a little self-awareness than before. Basically, I know I am too lazy and inert to change for the better.
This production was brought in from Dublin, but I didn't know anything
about how it was going to be. X and C had bought tickets already and I
jumped on the chance to get a student ticket.
The SOTA theater is small and intimate, but the colorful seats were a little distracting.
Anyway, I'm writing this now because I recently borrowed Peter Hall's Exposed By The Mask. This man is a great theater director and he unpacks a lot of interesting and difficult concepts in this slim volume. I like how he expresses the ideas very succinctly, making it accessible, without being annoying.
He directed the first English-language production of Waiting for Godot in 1955, 2 years after it premiered in Paris, and the play raised a storm of controversy.
Even when I watched the play on 23 Nov, the audience beside me didn't seem to get it. They didn't applaud when it ended and the actors were doing curtain calls.
This review lists the names of the actors of this production, which was very sparse and well done.
At first, the situation unfolding on stage was baffling but once you get into the swing of things through the amazing rhythmic (Irish accented) dialogue, everything started to fall into their absurdist place.
The abstract beauty of Beckett's words, being brought to life, was very special to experience.
The actors also did physical comedy quite well, using their bodies to express the unspoken closeness between Didi and Gogo, or the obvious power imbalance between Ponzo and Lucky.
Big props to the power of theater.
Popular Posts
-
there was a talk on leadership today. they started the talk with this video - TEDxToronto - Drew Dudley "Leading with Lollipops . ...
-
couldn't sleep again last night. homesickness? my mind couldn't relax and i kept thinking about what to blog about - how ridiculous ...
-
look at this mouldy bread! and no, i did not try to eat it. this is Coles White Bread, bought on 11 march 2013 at 17:45. it is suppos...
-
nothing much going on with my life over here...
-
last night i went to bed at 7pm and woke up at 3am today, thinking about places i want to visit. one of them was Paris. i want to go there ...
-
there was the tutorial for the workshop course i had on Thurs. silly me, i thought Fri's session was a workshop as well.anyway the tutor...
-
a friend told me she got $2 shoes and $2 bags from Cotton On at Harbour Town, so i went there yesterday. it's a discount outlet shopping...
-
heh heh heh feeling quite pleased with myself because i finalized the accommodation for the London trip my grandma wanted. all booked on ...
-
i'm going to start with the most awful thing i've seen today. oyster in an orange. no, it's not actually an oyster. it...
-
yesterday i went to Fremantle. they have interesting shops, art galleries, cafes, old buildings and a beach. it's nice. i like it. ...
Friends
-
Oops for the long Hiatus! m ( _ _ ) m - *When life got slow* I kinda stopped posting because life got really repetitive in a sense that there was nothing new... No travelling, no change in the Cov...4 years ago
-
Arashi 5x20 - Venue Entry (Do not by re-sold tickets) - As said the rules this year is stricter than ever! We all know how difficult it is for international fans, but please if you are not a member of the FC ...6 years ago
-
(モノノ怪) Mononoke anime series - I finally finished watching Mononoke (モノノ怪) anime, much thanks to the English subbed uploads by Asian Psycho on youtube. I had downloaded the entire seri...9 years ago
-
-
Panda Bread - My second post and my second time making this Panda Bread. It’s times like this that I’m awfully glad that I understand Japanese, because there are so many...13 years ago
